Why Cross-Cultural Communication?
The Graduate Certificate in Cross-Cultural Communication is a unique program offering two paths to specialize in cross-cultural communication: international or social justice.
On the global level, communicators require awareness, agility, and strategies within multi-cultural environments. When considering social justice, the emphasis may not be focused on international cultural comparisons, but gaining understanding of unconscious perceptions that influence communication between various identities described by generations, races, religions, and socioeconomic groups.
Cross-cultural communication is the process of recognizing both differences and similarities in order to effectively interact with various groups in society. This certificate offers communication insights into a broad range of society and business needs from interactions at the grass roots level to boards of directors and public entities to global corporations. With effective skills in cross-cultural communication, one could seek opportunities in consultancy, governmental bodies, nonprofit organizations, public relations, sales, social service, and tourism. In addition, there are a vast range of roles within corporate departments, such as communications, customer service, development, human resources, marketing, and sales.
The Graduate Certificate in Cross-Cultural Communication will help to equip professionals with the knowledge and competencies to:
- Analyze personal cross-cultural awareness and implicit bias, in addition to interpreting organizational cross-cultural communication strategy to develop effective communication processes and activities
- Evaluate communication audiences from a holistic perspective, thereby constructing effective verbal and nonverbal interactions based on cross-cultural consumption
- Formulate enlightened cross-cultural communication and inclusive diversity strategies, processes, and policies
- Demonstrate critical-thinking skills through research, case analysis, role plays, and experiential learning demonstrating agility, quick response, and diplomacy employing cross-cultural communication strategies
- Choose from two paths: international or social justice
- This unique certificate combines traditional communications strategies with personal cross-cultural awareness
- This program offers International Field Study Experience which includes on-site instruction in the region of study
What you'll study