Why Leading and Managing Technical Projects?
The Graduate Certificate in Leading and Managing Technical Projects is designed to equip current and aspiring project managers with the skills required of major projects in a technical environment.
Whether you’re an established project manager, or you're working in a technical field and aspire to be one, Northeastern’s Graduate Certificate in Leading and Managing Technical Projects can give you the foundational skills and practical knowledge you need to be successful. What makes this technical project management certificate unique?
- You can learn industry-spanning skills. You can gain skills that can be applied across industries, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech.
- You study with experts. Our faculty members have solid backgrounds in leadership and extensive experience managing and leading projects in a wide range of technical environments. Because they are leading projects and teams every day in their jobs, they bring up-to-the-minute examples to the classroom.
- You can apply what you learn immediately. You can complete the program within one year, but you can start applying what you’ve learned in class on the job from day one.
- You bring your work to school. Take lessons and case studies right out of your own projects, so your learning is relevant to what you do every day.
- Courses completed in the certificate program can be applied directly to future Master's course work
- Design allows students to use own projects as case studies, incorporating experiential learning
- Learn industry-spanning skills that can be applied across industries, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech
- Develop the leadership and management skills to lead technical projects
- Learn how to communicate technical content to a non-technical audience
- Gain practice leading remote teams, including global teams
- Plan and schedule projects using the most current and relevant methodologies
- Develop a personal leadership approach to motivate and inspire others
The demand for high level project management skills has exploded in the past few years. In a survey by US News & World Report, Project Management was ranked one of the most desirable skills required by businesses. The Leading and Managing Technical Projects Certificate can help you learn essential technical project management principles like planning, scheduling, and handling change, as well as how to apply them through real-world case studies and projects. This certificate can help you reach your technical project management career goals in a number of positions in virtually any type of organization, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech; and can lead to positions such as:
- Software design project manager
- Health care implementation project manager
- Technical lead