Why Remote Sensing?
The Online Graduate Certificate in Remote Sensing provides students with the necessary skills and understanding to apply remote sensing knowledge competently and effectively in a variety of areas.
Remote sensing is the measurement of information by a recording device that is not in physical contact with the object being measured. In practice, remote sensing is the utilization at a distance (as from aircraft, space shuttle, spacecraft, satellite, or ship) of any device for gathering information about the environment. The term "remote sensing" is most often applied to terrestrial and weather observations, but can be applied to planetary environments and astronomy. Remote sensing is applicable to many other situations including: land-use change, pollution tracking, land-use and planning, transportation systems, and military observation. The Graduate Certificate in Remote Sensing aims to make education and training in remote sensing available to adult and professional students. A student earning a Remote Sensing Certificate will be well versed in remote sensing theory, will have hands-on exposure to remote sensing software and hardware, and will learn how to extract pertinent data from remotely sensed datasets.
- Gain specialized knowledge in remote sensing to advance or change your career
- Boost your earnings: graduate certificate holders receive an average 25 percent higher salary, according to the Washington Post
- Explore your area of interest and leverage your graduate certificate as a gateway to a master’s degree
- Efficient and comprehensive six-course path to certificate
- Gain hands-on exposure to remote sensing hardware and software
- Online program provides flexibility and interactive experience for working professionals
What you'll study
Remote Sensing Electives
Complete four of the following: