Why Social Media and Online Communities?
The Graduate Certificate in Social Media and Online Communities provides a comprehensive overview of social media skills and helps students develop a strategic framework for advancement and leadership.
Social media management and strategy development have become core skills required for communication professionals. According to WANTED Analytics, 1.6-million working professionals utilize social media skills in jobs at the manager and executive level. The Graduate Certificate in Social Media and Online Communities focuses on strategic framework and the role digital media has in supporting organizational performance. The program integrates theory and practice, including experimenting with various tools and platforms and reflecting on lessons learned from active management and experimentation.
Courses from this certificate also serve as a concentration in three programs, the Master of Science in Corporate and Organizational Communication, the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media, and the Master of Science in Technical Communication. Students can also apply courses from the certificate to those degrees.
- Benefit from in-depth exploration of different aspects of social media including policy and ethical issues and content strategy
- Hands-on exposure to tools and digital media platforms
- Courses from this certificate can be applied toward three other master's degrees in communications and digital media
- Take a strategic approach to the design and implementation of social media channels and online communities
- Learn how to define metrics for measuring success, develop training, and evaluate the performance of social media activities
- Manage organizational risks and learn best practices in the creation of social media policies and guidelines
What you'll study
This program requires successful completion of a minimum of 19 credit hours that meet the degree requirements.