Why Special Education?
The Master of Education in Special Education allows licensed educators to enhance their professional portfolios and gain experience teaching and supporting students with specialized learning needs.
Adding special education to your professional portfolio opens doors to working with new groups of students in meaningful ways. The Master of Education in Special Education degree program will prepare you to anticipate and meet the needs of a broad range of students with specialized learning needs.
This program is designed for teachers or aspiring teachers who have already earned an initial license as an elementary or secondary teacher and want to help children with a broad range of learning needs reach their full potential. Your fellow students are professional and aspiring teachers who share a passion to deepen their knowledge of educational theory and practice, while learning the latest ways to improve special education.
The Master of Education in Special Education degree meets the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education standards and competencies for initial licensure as a teacher of students with moderate disabilities, pre-K-8 and 5-12.
- Curriculum emphasizes experiential learning and real-world application of theory
- Students create an ePortfolio to document their progress toward program and professional goals and illustrate their distinct abilities to employers
- Benefit from an international network to leverage personally and professionally
- Online, interactive program allows for flexibility for working professionals
- Hone the skills and disposition to educate and inspire children with specialized learning needs
- Develop a conceptual framework to effectively advocate for the educational rights of all children
- Examine the impact of local, national, and global changes on policy and practice for special education
- Learn to develop Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for the broad and varied range of student learning and behavioral style
What you'll study
Concentration in Special Education
Complete 12 quarter hours from the following:
This program requires successful completion of a minimum of 45 credit hours that meet the degree requirements.