Why Digital Media?
The Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media offers a hands-on, collaborative way to explore core creative concepts and innovative ideas in diverse areas of the digital media world. The program provides a solid preparation in the three core digital media knowledge areas: design thinking, technical competency, and creative expression.
Please note, the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media program is available only for domestic students who have a background in visual communications, web creation, and programming foundations. If you are an international student or a domestic student without this prior experience, you are eligible to apply to the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media Connect program. Please visit the MPS in Digital Media Connect program page to learn more.
Students in the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media will build their skills and expertise while gaining familiarity with a variety of industry-standard and cutting-edge technologies and tools. Our curriculum is organized around three types of experiences: core courses, concentration electives, and a final, hands-on project. Our core courses in information development, usability, and narrative structure provide a baseline for developing, marketing, and managing content-rich experiences. A series of electives is offered in three distinctive areas for the online format: social media, digital media management, or one of two tracks in interactive design—visual design or usability and production. In your final project, you’ll work with the guidance of a faculty advisor on a personal proposal or with a small, focused team to channel your passion into a project that provides tangible evidence of your abilities.
Whether you are a full-time or part-time student, you can complete your degree while building meaningful working relationships with students from around the globe. Team-based assignments strengthen your project management and leadership skills and allow you to take part in the development of more complex media projects than you could by working alone. The team efforts will also prepare you for your future as a professional in digital media’s collaboration-oriented culture.
- Complete an in-depth capstone project experience working under guidance of a faculty advisor.
- Three concentration options provide specialized focus on distinctive areas of digital media.
- Program format is designed to enhance collaboration and networking opportunities for students.
- This is a STEM-designated graduate degree.
- Leverage your existing professional experience and knowledge in a technology-centric media world.
- Apply human interaction concepts and systems to a wide range of projects.
- Study character and story development across a variety of digital media.
- Develop and test a variety of user experiences for different media and devices.
Companies of all sizes and industries need creative thinkers to help them build and disseminate compelling digital stories for marketing, messaging, and entertainment. Employment projections vary for each concentration, but demand and reward for User Interface professionals and social media experts continues to expand at an above-average pace.
Transfer Credit Opportunities for Certifications from Professional Associations
Successful applicants for a master's degree program in the Social Media concentration with their HubSpot Academy Certification:
- Will receive 4 quarter hours of transfer credit – an 8% savings in tuition.
- Will be able to earn a master’s degree by completing 11 courses, rather than 12
- Transfer credit is awarded for the following course: DGM 6285 Interactive Marketing Fundamentals
Hear from current students and recent graduates of the digital media programs about how their Northeastern degree helped them enhance their skills and accelerate their careers.
This video was led by instructor Gary Greenbaum and developed by the following students: Cameron Drezelo, Fanny Fellevik, Hana Fox, Sarah Hoye, and James Whalen. Please note that the clip was created by students in the Digital Video concentration for the Documentary and Nonfiction Production course.
What you'll study
Complete one of the following:
Complete one of the following:
Choose four courses from the following:
Usability and Development Track
This program requires successful completion of a minimum of 45 credit hours that meet the degree requirements.