Why Geospatial Services?
The Master of Professional Studies in Geospatial Services enables students to acquire practical skills and theoretical essentials to lead with geographical (xyzt) data in the public and private sector. This program adapts to newly emerging technologies necessary to handle ever-increasing amounts of data, placing students at the leading edge of geospatial science.
Experiential learning integration, using hands-on applications, challenge and encourage students to move out of their comfort zones to become independent scholars and well-informed citizens within a world driven by constant change.
Analysis of geospatial data accelerates innovative analysis and provides solutions to problems in multiple sectors such as:
- GeoIntelligence and situational awareness
- Catastrophe risk modeling for the insurance industry
- Precision agriculture and boosting food production
- Surveying (via drone collection)
- Industrial asset inventory.
Northeastern’s Geospatial Services program is USGIF accredited.
- Online program allows for flexibility and remote learning
- Hands-on experience working across multiple software environments, including commercial and open-source products, such as ESRI, ENVI, PCI Geomatica, GeoIntelligence, and project management software
- Option to participate in Co-op Program, Experiential Learning and Capstone Project
- Students who complete the USGIF certified courses from our accredited program can receive USGIF’s Geospatial Intelligence Certificate
- Provide hands-on experience with software from ESRI, the industry leader in GIS
- Improve the understanding of Internet GIS
- Explore the fundamentals of remote sensing
- Secure foundational skills in project management, system implementation, database development, and implementation
- Evaluate the theoretical, mathematical, and computational foundations of GIS
- Learn to effectively interpret and apply geographic information
- Analyze cartographic principles
- Study the legal, economic, and ethical issues associated with GIS
- Examine practical applications of GIS to support geographic inquiry and decision making
Northeastern University's Master of Professional Studies in Geospatial Services program is USGIF accredited. The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) is the only organization dedicated to bringing together industry, academia, government, professional organizations, and stakeholders to exchange ideas, share best practices, and promote the education and importance of a national geospatial intelligence agenda.
Unique Transfer Credit Opportunity
Do you hold GEOINT Certification Program (GCP) credentials through the NGA under the authority of the Defense GEOINT (GCP-F, GPC IA-II, GPC CA-II or GPC GDM-II equivalent)? If yes, you can accelerate through the Master of Professional Studies in Geospatial Services at Northeastern University by applying your credential(s) in exchange for transfer credit.
Successful applicants can experience the following:
- Receive up to 12 quarter hours of transfer credit – a 25% savings in tuition
- Satisfy PDU credential requirements under the creditable graduate Academic Study category
- Enjoy the convenience of a 100% online, interactive curriculum
- Build your resumé and strengthen your skills in remote sensing (Earth Observation) and geospatial analytics.
Successful completion of GEOINT Certification Program (GCP) applies to all cleared Department of Defense (DoD) civilian, military, and contractor practitioners in GEOINT-related work roles throughout the National System for Geospatial Intelligence (NSG). GCP can also apply to non-DoD members of the NSG with GEOINT equities.
Contact us today for more information by completing the form on our page.
Trend data suggests that geographic information technology (GIT) is related to the overall increase in interest in big data analytics. Geographic information technology and related systems are able to capture and model all types of spatial and geographic data, often useful for business or government intelligence, location-enabled services, and the planning and management of logistics, among many other purposes. Analysts who are trained in GIT are well-informed in how to produce, aggregate, and manipulate geographic/spatial data in order to drive decisions or services in any number of fields or industries. With the advent of mobile technology, the utility of GIT and employment of analysts with this expertise is expected to grow.
What are our graduates doing? Explore our alumni map, created in-house, which shows positions held by our recent GIT alumni around the globe.
Analytics in Action – Application of Data and Technology in Geospatial
Overview of Geospatial Services Program
What you'll study
Complete two of the following:
ITC 6300 and ITC 6460 are currently hybrid or on ground. If you are interested in taking one of these courses online please let your adviser know at the start of the school year.
Open electives can be fulfilled by choosing 6-7 quarter hours from the concentration courses or the open electives listed below.
Complete six of the following:
Complete five of the following:
Complete the following: