Why Sports Leadership?
Designed to enhance the skills of students at all levels of experience in the industry, the Master of Sports Leadership program prepares you to excel in diverse fields of sports-related occupations.
The practice-oriented Master of Sports Leadership is structured to accommodate mid-career athletic administrators and coaches, as well as individuals seeking to prepare for careers in the sports industry. Developed in collaboration with Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, the Master of Sports Leadership prepares you for a variety of sport-related occupations—whether it’s working with a professional or intercollegiate sports team, with a fitness club or wellness organization, or in marketing, communication, or sports management. Courses within this unique graduate degree examine the social and business issues that are critical to sports leadership. Offered in an online format with an intensive one-week summer institute in Boston, this degree provides you with a well-rounded educational experience—equipping you to advance your career in the sports industry.
- Practice oriented degree offering hands-on experience, internship, and capstone project
- Option to take part in integrated experiential learning
- Choose from concentrations for a specialized focus on professional or collegiate athletics
- Boston Location on flagship campus, a hub for business, healthcare, education, finance, biotechnology, and the life sciences
- Visa Eligible program for the Fall Term
- Identify your leadership styles and strengths and take steps to improve your leadership capacity
- Understand what it takes to build highly effective teams
- Obtain approaches and techniques for effectively tackling ethical dilemmas
- Explore the legal issues related to equipment use, facility management, and accommodation for special populations
- Learn how to leverage sports for greater social and economic good
- Examine the planning, scheduling, and financial issues associated with running a successful athletics program
- Discover how to use sports to foster diversity, prevent violence, and improve the health of local and global communities
The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation is a specialized accrediting body whose purpose is to promote and recognize excellence in sport management education worldwide in colleges and universities at the baccalaureate and graduate level.
Already a multi-billion-dollar field, the sports industry is projected to experience faster-than-average growth over the next several years. Located all over the country, sports-related organizations and businesses require a variety of educated and skilled employees to manage day-to-day operations. While knowledge is crucial, success is often contingent upon your willingness to work beyond 9-5—with many sporting events and related activities taking place on nights, weekends, and holidays. The sports industry is exciting—filled with people who are driven by a passion for what they do and who are extremely satisfied with their career choice.
What you'll study
Note: Sport in Society (LDR 6405) and Sports Media Relations (LDR 6441) are summer institute courses, available on-campus in Boston. Winter institute course available on campus in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Complete one of the following. This course should be the last course taken and requires faculty advisor approval:
Choose two of the following: