Why Sports Leadership?
Designed to enhance the skills of students at all levels of experience in the industry, the Master of Sports Leadership program prepares you to excel in diverse fields of sports-related occupations.
The practice-oriented Master of Sports Leadership is structured to accommodate mid-career athletic administrators and coaches, as well as individuals seeking to prepare for careers in the sports industry. Developed in collaboration with Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, the Master of Sports Leadership prepares you for a variety of sport-related occupations—whether it’s working with a professional or intercollegiate sports team, with a fitness club or wellness organization, or in marketing, communication, or sports management. Courses within this unique graduate degree examine the social and business issues that are critical to sports leadership. This degree provides you with a well-rounded educational experience—equipping you to advance your career in the sports industry.
- Practice oriented degree offering hands-on experience, internship, and capstone project
- Option to take part in integrated experiential learning
- Choose from concentrations for a specialized focus on professional or collegiate athletics
- Identify your leadership styles and strengths and take steps to improve your leadership capacity
- Understand what it takes to build highly effective teams
- Obtain approaches and techniques for effectively tackling ethical dilemmas
- Explore the legal issues related to equipment use, facility management, and accommodation for special populations
- Learn how to leverage sports for greater social and economic good
- Examine the planning, scheduling, and financial issues associated with running a successful athletics program
- Discover how to use sports to foster diversity, prevent violence, and improve the health of local and global communities
|The following sport management degree program has been accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), located in Fort Collins, CO, USA:
Northeastern's Master of Sports Leadership was recently inducted into the COSMA Hall of Fame as a Biz Connector for excelling in creating partnerships with professionals in sports.
Already a multi-billion-dollar field, the sports industry is projected to experience faster-than-average growth over the next several years. Located all over the country, sports-related organizations and businesses require a variety of educated and skilled employees to manage day-to-day operations. While knowledge is crucial, success is often contingent upon your willingness to work beyond 9-5—with many sporting events and related activities taking place on nights, weekends, and holidays. The sports industry is exciting—filled with people who are driven by a passion for what they do and who are extremely satisfied with their career choice.
What you'll study
Note: Sport in Society (LDR 6405) and Sports Media Relations (LDR 6441) are summer institute courses, available on-campus in Boston. Winter institute course available on campus in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Complete one of the following. This course should be the last course taken and requires faculty advisor approval:
Choose two of the following:
This program requires successful completion of a minimum of 45 credit hours that meet the degree requirements.