Why Principles of Manufacturing?
The Certificate in Principles of Manufacturing will provide you with the basic competencies, skills, and experience you need to advance your career in the manufacturing industry. Available 100% online, this program gives you the flexibility you need to earn your certificate when and where it is convenient for you.
According to a 2015 study by The Manufacturing Institute and Deloitte, an estimated 3.4 million manufacturing jobs will be created over the next decade. The 100% online Certificate in Principles of Manufacturing provides students with a fundamental understanding of manufacturing systems and prepares them to better succeed in entry-level positions in the manufacturing industry. More specifically, upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Understand and optimize manufacturing operations given a broad understanding of manufacturing support systems including product design, manufacturing planning, manufacturing control, and business functions.
- Select and apply the appropriate manufacturing processes for a product given its design specifications and material properties.
- Obtain basic engineering drafting and introductory design skills needed to function in a computer-aided drafting (CAD) environment.
- Understand the scientific and technical foundations of manufacturing principles, including policy decisions and safety regulations that provide a solid basis for students to recognize hazards at the workplace and in the environment.
- Understand fundamental principles, critical technologies, processing parameters and strengthening mechanisms of composite materials and apply these to various advanced manufacturing applications.
The courses in the certificate program also allow for students across a variety of industries and experience levels to interact and share and learn from each other’s workplace experiences. By encouraging student engagement and virtual networking opportunities, students will also be exposed to career paths in real time and gain first-hand knowledge of the potential job opportunities available.
The credits from this certificate can easily be stacked into the Bachelor of Science in Advanced Manufacturing program and will fulfill most of the foundational course requirements for the bachelor’s degree program.
- The 100% online format provides all the flexibility you need, so you can study when and where it’s convenient for you
- Courses will be offered on a regular schedule allowing for full-time students to complete the certificate in as little as two terms
- The program meets the needs of people currently working in the manufacturing industry who have little or no college-level coursework or credentials completed
- You’ll learn from faculty experts who have extensive real-world experience and will ensure you get practical skills that will help you advance your career