Take a quick look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
Social media management and strategy development have become core skills required for communication professionals. According to WANTED Analytics, 1.6-million working professionals utilize social media skills in jobs at the manager and executive level. The Online Graduate Certificate in Social Media and Online Communities focuses on strategic framework and the role digital media has in supporting organizational performance. The program integrates theory and practice, including experimenting with various tools and platforms and reflecting on lessons learned from active management and experimentation.
Courses from this certificate also serve as a concentration in three programs, the Master of Science in Corporate and Organizational Communication and the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media. Students can also apply courses from the certificate to those degrees.
- Benefit from in-depth exploration of different aspects of social media including policy and ethical issues and content strategy
- Hands-on exposure to tools and digital media platforms
- Online program provides flexibility and interactive experience for working professionals
- Take a strategic approach to the design and implementation of social media channels and online communities
- Learn how to define metrics for measuring success, develop training, and evaluate the performance of social media activities
- Manage organizational risks and learn best practices in the creation of social media policies and guidelines
Experiential / Co-op opportunities
Northeastern's signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace.
This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Get Set with a Custom Course Plan
Complete one to two of the following:*
*Students may qualify to waive CMN 6015 if they have social media experience. Please consult with your academic advisor.
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identifies your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the university's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- English language proficiency proof: Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Global Engagement Learn how our teaching and research benefit from a worldwide network of students, faculty, and industry partners.
Cost and Tuition
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
|Recommended Admissions Deadline|
|Domestic application complete (first half start: April 12, 2021)||April 2, 2021|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: May 24, 2021)||May 14, 2021|
|Recommended Admissions Deadline|
|Domestic application complete (first half start: July 12, 2021)||June 28, 2021|
|Domestic application complete (second half start: August 9, 2021)||July 26, 2021|
Student Body Profile
Below is a look at where our communications and journalism alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Boston Globe Media
- Fidelity Investments
- Harvard University
What They Do
- Media and Communication
- Business Development
- Art and Design
What They're Skilled At
- Social Media
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.