Take a Quick Look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
The Master of Education in Learning and Instruction degree program is for teachers and leaders in K-12-focused schools and community organizations who want to improve the educational environment for students today—and transform it for the students of tomorrow. You will learn how to lead change in a classroom, school, or educational community and join efforts to effect change across the educational spectrum.
Your fellow students are professionals who enroll having worked in the K-12 setting, as leaders in community organizations, and as researchers and consultants. Students are very diverse but share a passion to deepen their knowledge of educational theory and practice, while learning the latest ways to engage communities to effect change.
Graduates are positioned to drive community-based change and broaden their professional understanding of diverse student groups. The program coursework prepares you to effectively implement assessment practices; identify changing educational contexts as well as emerging challenges; and lead change across the educational spectrum.
- Capstone project and experiential learning model allow for hands-on experience and real-world learning
- Graduates create an ePortfolio, leveraging the latest learning theory and research to demonstrate their mastery of learning and instruction
- Charlotte location offers students an interactive experience on a campus closely integrated with the city's workforce and industry leaders
- The Experiential Network (XN) allows students to virtually work on short-term, real-world projects to complement their academic work
- Anticipate and meet the needs of diverse students to effectively teach and lead in schools and communities
- Understand the impact of local, national, and global changes on educational policy and practice
- Recognize opportunities to transform the classroom, school, or broader educational community
- Develop the capacity to serve as an agent for social justice
Career possibilities both in and out of the traditional K-12 educational system include:
- Teacher as leader in K-12 schools
- Educator in community organizations
- Researcher in educational organizations
- Educational consultant
- Textbook author
- Educational researcher
Experiential / Co-op Opportunities
Northeastern's signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace.
This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Get Set With a Custom Course Plan
Please note: The following is a sample curriculum and is subject to change. Enrolled students should reference the academic catalog for current program requirements.
Concentration in Learning and Instruction
Complete one of the following:
To be taken last:
Complete 12 quarter hours at the EDU 6000 level.
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identify your educational goals and expectations of the program; please be aware that Northeastern University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- Two letters of recommendation: from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- English language proficiency proof: students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, or NU Global Exam scores
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Admissions Details Learn more about the College of Professional Studies admissions process, policies, and required materials.
Cost and Tuition
Avg Institutional Aid
% Receiving Aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term:
*International deadlines are only applicable if the program is F1 compliant.
Student Body Profile
Below is a look at where our Education & Learning alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Boston Public Schools
- Chicago Public Schools
- NYC Department of Education
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Tufts University
What They Do
- Community and Social Services
- Business Development
- Human Services
What They're Skilled At
- Public Speaking
- Curriculum Development
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.