Assoc Teaching Prof &Asst Dean
Dr. Darin Detwiler, LP.D., M.A.Ed., is the Assistant Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs at Northeastern University’s College of Professional Studies in Boston, MA. He is also an Assistant Teaching Professor of Food Policy who serves as the lead faculty for the college’s MS in Regulatory Affairs of Food and Food Industry program. He is the recipient of the College of Professional Studies' 2016 Excellence in Teaching Award.
Detwiler is an internationally recognized, respected, and well-connected food policy and technology expert with 25+ years’ experience in shaping federal food policy, consulting with corporations, and contributing thought leadership to industry events and publications. He is a recipient of the 2018 Distinguished Service Award from the International Association for Food Protection. Detweiler is regarded as “one of America’s leading food safety advocates.” In 2004, the Secretary of Agriculture appointed Detwiler to two terms on the USDA's National Advisory Committee. He later advised the FDA as the Senior Policy Coordinator for a leading national food safety advocacy organization.
With over 20 years of teaching experience, Detwiler has taught high school math, biology, environmental science, physics, forensic science, and history (world, U.S., and state) as well as middle school U.S. history. He is the recipient of the 2013 Washington State Governor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, the 2013 Washington State PTA Outstanding Educator Award, the 2009 AMGEN "AASTE” Award for Science Teaching Excellence (Biotechnology), King County (WA)'s Earth Hero Award (for Environmental instruction), and the 2003 National Science Teachers Association / Toyota TAPESTRY Award for Innovation in Science Literacy Education. He holds a B.A. in History, a B.Ed., and an M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction.
In addition to his work at Northeastern, Dr. Detwiler is a sought-after speaker and contributing writer for various publications. He is a columnist and editorial advisor for Quality Assurance and Food Safety Magazine. His other media work includes print (such as The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, L.A. Times, and Food Quality and Safety Magazine) and broadcast appearances (such as CNBC, NPR, Good Morning America, CNN, and PBS). He serves on multiple advisory boards within the food policy arena. Detwiler is currently writing the book "Food Safety: Past, Present, and Predictions" for Elsevier Publishing.
He is a U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine Veteran who holds a Doctorate in Law and Policy from Northeastern University.
EducationPhD from Northeastern University (2016)
Northeastern University, College of Professional Studies, Boston, MA
- Assistant Dean, Academic and Faculty Affairs, 2017 – Present
- Leads efforts towards quality assurance, student and faculty success, and working cross-departmentally to drive enrollment goals and bring new programs to market.
- Assistant Teaching Professor / Lead Faculty, Regulatory Affairs of Food and Food Industry, 2016 – Present
- Academic Consultant, 2015 – 2016
- Revised the Regulatory Affairs of Food program to allow for a restart with improved curriculum aligned to industry needs.
- Worked with multiple programs and departments to increase collaboration, instructor presence, assessment, and use of technology.
- Graduate Lecturer, 2014 – 2016
Detwiler Consulting Group, LLC, Boston, MA, 1993 – Present
- Federal Food Policy Consultant, trainer, motivator, speaker.
STOP Foodborne Illness, Chicago, IL, 2014 – 2016
- Senior Policy Coordinator. Stakeholder advisory group for FDA, USDA
Washington State Public Schools, 1998 – 2013
- Department Head, Head Teacher, Teacher
Bellevue (WA) College, 2002 – 2006
- Adjunct Professor, Program Developer
U.S. Navy. Nuclear Submarine Force, 1986 – 1994
- Submarine Nuclear Power Propulsion Plant operator, Engine Room Supervisor, QA Inspector
- Qualified in Submarine Warfare. Gulf War Veteran, Honorable Discharge
- Food Safety Matters Podcast Ep. 13 Darin Detwiler: “It’s More Than Just a Job.” Food Safety Magazine. (November 14, 2017)
- My Food Job Rocks Podcast: "The Importance of Food Safety with Dr. Darin Detwiler..."
- “Can We Measure Culture?” Quality Assurance & Food Safety Magazine (2018, December 8)
- “Report Card for Implementing FSMA in the States.” Global Food Safety Resource (2016, October 17)
- “Bearing Witness to Justice at the PCA Sentencing.” Food Safety News (2015, September 23)