March 31, 2020
The university’s annual RISE awards celebrated student innovation and research projects
Students, faculty, staff and industry leaders came together virtually on April 9 for the university’s annual RISE (Research, Innovation, Scholarship, Entrepreneurship) Focus awards to celebrate innovation in multidisciplinary student research projects. Students had the opportunity to showcase their work, in addition to eligibility for financial prizes. Throughout the day, RISE presenters pitched their research and creative activity to judges at scheduled times via Microsoft Teams. Potential employers or investors also participated in the virtual presentations.
This year, a new Northeastern College of Professional Studies (CPS) Resiliency and Sustainability Focus award was specifically for students of the college. This award recognized one undergraduate and one graduate student or team whose project best applies research and communication to an important resiliency and sustainability topic.
“It’s one more piece to their experience; it’s one more way to show what they have done, and what they’re capable of doing,” says Darin Detwiler, Assistant Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs for the college. “For these students, this is where the real world begins. They’re really putting themselves out there, showing off what they’ve done. RISE provides opportunities.”
Following is the list of CPS students and the topics they presented:
- Haengsoo Seol: K-Pop and College Students’ Career Development
- Mariangela Cardoso, Miguel Carmona: Give It Here!
- Yinze Li: Multi-Level Financial Stress
- Elena Litescu: EI a Hallmark of Leadership Effectiveness
- Mika Morikawa: Cultural Awareness in the Social Work World
- Ehren Hubschwerlin: Easy Reach Keyboard
- Inna Mary Joseph: Mucoadhesive Microspheres for Drug Delivery System
- Akshay Thevar: India’s Conflict with Secularism
- Snigdha Kongara: Local Chemoradiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer
- Juan Ning: SDGs Hub in China
- Dhanvi Shahj: Women in Leadership
- Jinyuan Chen: Use of ML Method to Predict Store Performance
- Mark Turner: Fixed-Wing Drone Autonomous Re-Flight Platform
- Mruga Salunke: Building Cultural Agility
- Barbara Frazier: Protection of Child Rights During Testimony
- Freida Parsons: Multi-Level Sentiment Analysis of Stress
- Kellie Nappa: Writing in the Non-Liberal Disciplines