Take a Quick Look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
Whether you’re an established project manager, or you're working in a technical field and aspire to be one, Northeastern’s Graduate Certificate in Leading and Managing Technical Projects can give you the foundational skills and practical knowledge you need to be successful.
What makes this technical project management certificate unique?
- You can learn industry-spanning skills. You can gain skills that can be applied across industries, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech.
- You study with experts. Our faculty members have solid backgrounds in leadership and extensive experience managing and leading projects in a wide range of technical environments. Because they are leading projects and teams every day in their jobs, they bring up-to-the-minute examples to the classroom.
- You can apply what you learn immediately. You can complete the program within one year, but you can start applying what you’ve learned in class on the job from day one.
- You bring your work to school. Take lessons and case studies right out of your own projects, so your learning is relevant to what you do every day.
- Courses completed in the certificate program can be applied directly to future master's course work
- Design allows students to use their own projects as case studies, incorporating experiential learning
- Learn industry-spanning skills that can be applied across industries, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech
- Develop the leadership and management skills to lead technical projects
- Learn how to communicate technical content to a non-technical audience
- Gain practice leading remote teams, including global teams
- Plan and schedule projects using the most current and relevant methodologies
- Develop a personal leadership approach to motivate and inspire others
The demand for high-level project management skills has exploded in the past few years. In a survey by US News & World Report, project management was ranked one of the most desirable skills required by businesses. The Graduate Certificate in Leading and Managing Technical Projects can help you learn essential technical project management principles like planning, scheduling, and handling change, as well as how to apply them through real-world case studies and projects. This certificate can help you reach your technical project management career goals in a number of positions in virtually any type of organization, including IT, engineering, software, energy, construction, finance, and biotech; and can lead to positions such as:
- Software design project manager
- Healthcare implementation project manager
- Technical lead
Get Set With a Custom Course Plan
Please note: The following is a sample curriculum and is subject to change. Enrolled students should reference the academic catalog for current program requirements.
PJM 5900 is for students with less than three years of experience directing or leading project tasks and is recommended for students who do not have a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Project software. Students who do not complete PJM5900 take project management electives to satisfy required program credits.
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identifies your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the university's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- English language proficiency proof: Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Admissions Details Learn more about the College of Professional Studies admissions process, policies, and required materials.
Finance Your Education We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships.
How to Apply Learn more about the application process and requirements.
Cost and Tuition
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term:
Domestic Application Guidelines
International Application Guidelines*
*International deadlines are only applicable if the program is F1 compliant.
Student Body Profile
Below is a look at where our Leadership alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Boston Public Schools
- State Street
- United States Air Force
- Massachusetts General Hospital
What They Do
- Business Development
- Community and Social Services
- Human Resources
What They're Skilled At
- Public Speaking
- Strategic Planning
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.