- Location: 301 RB Robinson Hall Boston MA 02111
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 617.373.3180
Dr. Hayward has a broad background in physical therapy practice, education, and public health. She has 23 years of specific expertise in working with and mentoring physical therapist students, curriculum design and evaluation, reflective practice, domestic and international service-learning, and qualitative research methods. She is passionate about working with students and watching them mature as doctor of physical therapy professionals and individuals in both the classroom and the field. The classroom is her laboratory and she has over 38 publications related to education. The majority of Dr. Hayward's research involves reflective practice and the scholarship of teaching and learning, communities of practice, and evaluation of innovative educational approaches. She has a number of internal and externally funded projects that support her work.
Of note is Dr. Hayward's work on professionalism in physical therapy education which is cited in the CAPTE Core Values document. An article published from her dissertation, was awarded the first Stanford Award for the most influential article in physical therapy education.
EducationDoctor of Education from Boston University (1995)
1) Distinguished Visiting Professor of Chinese Air Force General Hospital. Beijing, China (2010-)
2) NORTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY - Bouve College of Health Sciences; Boston, MA
Associate Professor (2004 -)
Assistant Professor (1996 -2004)
3) BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD; Boston, MA
SENIOR TRAINING SPECIALIST (1994-1996)
- Created a training program and developed curriculum to instruct users corporate wide about a decision support software (MEDSTAT) designed to manage health insurance data.
- Managed minibase testing; interfaced with vendor during software implementation.
4) BAY STATE HEALTH CARE; Cambridge, MA
UTILIZATION ANALYST (1992-1994); CLINICAL REVIEWER (1991-1992)
- Supervised a staff of four; established a triage and tracking system for data requests.
- Managed a database used to produce reports on health care utilization by physicians and facilities.
- Researched data quality problems.
- As Clinical Reviewer, supervised staff in utilization management of services by 50 physical therapists.
5) CHARLES RIVER SPORTS THERAPY, INC.; Boston, MA
SUPERVISOR physical therapists, athletic trainers and cooperative education students (1988-1991)
6) BOSTON PHYSICAL THERAPY ASSOCIATES; Brighton, MA EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT (1986-1988)
Designed an audiovisual program and written materials to teach industrial workers how to prevent low back injuries.
7) BRIGHAM AND WOMEN'S HOSPITAL - Multipurpose Arthritis Center; Boston, MA
RESEARCH PHYSICAL THERAPIST (1984-1986)
- Educated 3,000 Postal employees on low back care to reduce Workmen's Compensation Program as part of a $1 million National Institutes of Health grant.
8) WINCHESTER HOSPITAL; Winchester, MA (1982-1984)