Take a Quick Look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
Social media management and strategy development have become core skills required for communication professionals. According to WANTED Analytics, 1.6 million working professionals utilize social media skills in jobs at the manager and executive level. The Online Graduate Certificate in Social Media for Organizational Performance focuses on strategic framework and the role digital media has in supporting organizational performance. The program integrates theory and practice, including experimenting with various tools and platforms and reflecting on lessons learned from active management and experimentation.
Courses from this certificate also serve as a concentration in two programs, the Master of Science in Corporate and Organizational Communication and the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media. Students can also apply courses from the certificate to those degrees.
- Benefit from in-depth exploration of different aspects of social media, including policy and ethical issues and content strategy.
- Get hands-on exposure to tools and digital media platforms.
- Online program provides flexibility and interactive experience for working professionals.
- Take a strategic approach to the design and implementation of social media channels and online communities.
- Learn how to define metrics for measuring success, develop training, and evaluate the performance of social media activities.
- Manage organizational risks and learn best practices in the creation of social media policies and guidelines.
Get Set With a Custom Course Plan
Please note: The following is a sample curriculum and is subject to change. Enrolled students should reference the academic catalog for current program requirements.
Complete a minimum of five quarter hours from the following:
Note: Interactive Marketing Fundamentals (DGM 6285) is for students who do not have digital media marketing experience. Students who do not complete this course take additional elective credits to satisfy the required credits for the program. Students may also meet the requirement through prior learning assessment. Visit the Credit for Prior Learning page for more information.
Note: Contact your advisor to enroll in Search Engine Optimization: Strategy and Implementation (DGM 6550). Students who choose Search Engine Optimization: Strategy and Implementation (DGM 6550) are not required to complete its course prerequisites.
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1,000 words): Identifies your educational goals and expectations from the program. Please be aware that the university's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose.
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- English language proficiency proof: Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Admissions Details Learn more about the College of Professional Studies admissions process, policies, and required materials.
Finance Your Education We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships.
How to Apply Learn more about the application process and requirements.
Cost and Tuition
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2022-2023 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term:
Domestic Application Guidelines
International Application Guidelines*
*International deadlines are only applicable if the program is F1 compliant.
Student Body Profile
Below is a look at where our communications and journalism alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Boston Globe Media
- Fidelity Investments
- Harvard University
What They Do
- Media and Communication
- Business Development
- Art and Design
What They're Skilled At
- Social Media
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
Learn more about Northeastern alumni on Linkedin.