Take a quick look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
The Master of Sports Leadership prepares you for a variety of sport-related occupations—whether it’s working with a professional or intercollegiate sports team, with a fitness club or wellness organization, or in marketing, communications, or sports management. In this program, developed in collaboration with Northeastern’s Center for the Study of Sport in Society, you’ll refine and develop your leadership abilities as you examine the relevant social and business issues and hone your analytical and organizational skills. You can choose to focus on professional or collegiate athletics, and you’ll get real-world experience through your program.
This is an online program.
- Practice-oriented degree offering hands-on experience, internship, and capstone project
- Option to take part in integrated experiential learning
- Choose from concentrations for a specialized focus on professional or collegiate athletics
- Boston Location on flagship campus, a hub for business, healthcare, education, finance, biotechnology, and the life sciences
- Visa-eligible program for the fall term—Professional Sports Administration concentration only
- Identify your leadership styles and strengths and take steps to improve your leadership capacity
- Understand what it takes to build highly effective teams
- Obtain approaches and techniques for effectively tackling ethical dilemmas
- Explore the legal issues related to equipment use, facility management, and accommodation for special populations
- Learn how to leverage sports for greater social and economic good
- Examine the planning, scheduling, and financial issues associated with running a successful athletics program
- Discover how to use sports to foster diversity, prevent violence, and improve the health of local and global communities
|The following sport management degree program has been accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), located in Fort Collins, CO, USA:|
Northeastern's Master of Sports Leadership was recently inducted into the COSMA Hall of Fame as a Biz Connector for excelling in creating partnerships with professionals in sports.
Already a multi-billion-dollar field, the sports industry is projected to experience faster-than-average growth over the next several years. Located all over the country, sports-related organizations and businesses require a variety of educated and skilled employees to manage day-to-day operations. While knowledge is crucial, success is often contingent upon your willingness to work beyond 9-5—with many sporting events and related activities taking place on nights, weekends, and holidays. The sports industry is exciting—filled with people who are driven by a passion for what they do and who are extremely satisfied with their career choice.
The following sport management degree program has been granted Candidacy Status by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA), located in Fort Collins, CO, USA:
- Master of Sports Leadership
Check out your career prospects
Beginning your journey with us is a big decision. But it's a smart one. Your field is evolving rapidly. That's why we're constantly innovating our programs to anticipate your industry's needs. So, no matter where your field goes, you can lead the way.
alumni across 179 countries
Experiential / Co-op opportunities
Northeastern's signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace.
This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Get Set with a Custom Course Plan
Note: Sport in Society (LDR 6405) and Sports Media Relations (LDR 6441) are summer institute courses, available on-campus in Boston. Winter institute course available on campus in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Complete one of the following. This course should be the last course taken and requires faculty advisor approval:
Choose two of the following:
Professional Sports Administration
Collegiate Athletics Administration
Follow our leaders
Our faculty are experts who have worked for the Boston Celtics, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games, Major League Soccer, and countless higher-education institutions. They consistently bring their real-world experiences to the classroom to enrich student’s learning.
“Courses within sports leadership examine the business and social issues that are critical to effective sports leadership... you can understand how to develop and lead teams by fostering the appropriate culture and positively effecting change.” - Dr. Robert Prior, faculty lead, Master of Sports Leadership
The Sports Leadership program provided valuable networking opportunities, in addition to the curriculum and practical experience that were essential to breaking into the sports industry.Ameena D. Master of Science in Sports Leadership '17
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): Identify your educational goals and expectations of the program. Please be aware that Northeastern University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose.
- Professional resumé
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts; official transcripts required at the time of admission
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who have either academic or professional knowledge of your capabilities such as a faculty member, colleague, or mentor, preferably one from your current employer
- English language proficiency proof. Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo, or NU Global Exam scores
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Global Engagement Learn how our teaching and research benefit from a worldwide network of students, faculty, and industry partners.
Finance Your Education We offer a variety of resources, including scholarships and assistantships.
How to Apply Learn more about the application process and requirements.
Prior Learning Assessment/Transfer Credits
Some courses in this program offer transfer credit for students’ experience through prior learning assessments and professional certifications. View the full list of eligible certifications and transfer credits.
Cost and Tuition
Avg Institutional Aid
% Receiving Aid
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis; however, we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
|November 2, 2020||International out-of-country application complete (start date: January 19, 2021)|
|December 7, 2020||International in-country application complete (start date: January 19, 2021)|
|January 1, 2021||Domestic application complete (first half start: January 19, 2021)|
|February 12, 2021||Domestic application complete (second half start: February 22, 2021)|
|February 8, 2021||International out-of-country application complete (start date: April 12, 2021)|
|March 8, 2021||International in-country application complete (start date: April 12, 2021)|
|April 2, 2021||Domestic application complete (first half start: April 12, 2021)|
|May 14, 2021||Domestic application complete (second half start: May 24, 2021)|
|May 10, 2021||International out-of-country application complete (start date: July 12, 2021)|
|June 7, 2021||International in-country application complete (start date: July 12, 2021)|
|July 2, 2021||Domestic application complete (start date: July 12, 2021)|
|July 19, 2021||International out-of-country application complete (start date: September 20, 2021)|
|August 23, 2021||International in-country application complete (start date: September 20, 2021)|
|September 7, 2021||Domestic application complete (first half start: September 20, 2021)|
|October 18, 2021||Domestic application complete (second half start: November 1, 2021)|
Student Body Profile
Summer Institute Overview
Below is a look at where our Sports Leadership alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Boston Celtics
- Boston Red Sox
- Boston Bruins
- New England Patriots
- NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, MLL
- Colleges and Universities
- International Olympic Committees
- High School Athletics
- Youth Sport Organizations
- Nonprofit Sport Organizations
What They Do
- Athletic Administration
- Community and Social Services
What They're Skilled At
- Event Management
- Athletic Development
- Operations Management
- Use of Technology and Social Media
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.
Career Opportunities and Services
Did You Know?
Northeastern's Master of Sports Leadership is one of only 18 graduate programs in the U.S. to receive accreditation from the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
Did You Know?
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to our global network of more than 255,000 alumni and 3,350+ employer partners.
Our Master of Sports Leadership prepares you for success in a variety of athletic businesses—from professional or intercollegiate teams, to community or wellness organizations.
Did You Know?
Advanced degree holders earn a salary 35% higher than those with a bachelor's degree.