Take a Quick Look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
According to a 2015 study by The Manufacturing Institute and Deloitte, an estimated 3.4 million manufacturing jobs will be created over the next decade. The 100% online Certificate in Principles of Manufacturing provides students with a fundamental understanding of manufacturing systems and prepares them to better succeed in entry-level positions in the manufacturing industry. More specifically, upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Understand and optimize manufacturing operations given a broad understanding of manufacturing support systems including product design, manufacturing planning, manufacturing control, and business functions.
- Select and apply the appropriate manufacturing processes for a product given its design specifications and material properties.
- Obtain basic engineering drafting and introductory design skills needed to function in a computer-aided drafting (CAD) environment.
- Understand the scientific and technical foundations of manufacturing principles, including policy decisions and safety regulations that provide a solid basis for students to recognize hazards at the workplace and in the environment.
- Understand fundamental principles, critical technologies, processing parameters and strengthening mechanisms of composite materials and apply these to various advanced manufacturing applications.
The courses in the certificate program also allow for students across a variety of industries and experience levels to interact and share and learn from each other’s workplace experiences. By encouraging student engagement and virtual networking opportunities, students will also be exposed to career paths in real time and gain first-hand knowledge of the potential job opportunities available.
The credits from this certificate can easily be stacked into the Bachelor of Science in Advanced Manufacturing program and will fulfill most of the foundational course requirements for the bachelor’s degree program.
- The 100% online format provides all the flexibility you need, so you can study when and where it’s convenient for you
- Courses will be offered on a regular schedule allowing for full-time students to complete the certificate in as little as two terms
- The program meets the needs of people currently working in the manufacturing industry who have little or no college-level coursework or credentials completed
- You’ll learn from faculty experts who have extensive real-world experience and will ensure you get practical skills that will help you advance your career
Get Set With a Custom Course Plan
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Completed online application
- English Language Proficiency Proof (if English is not your primary language)
- Official transcript
- Official high school transcript
- Official GED
- Associate degree (with conferral and date) sent directly from your undergraduate institution to Northeastern
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Admissions Details Learn more about the College of Professional Studies admissions process, policies, and required materials.
Cost and Tuition
Cost Per Credit
Avg Institutional Aid
% Receiving Aid
The deadlines below are recommended; however, admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis and applications submitted after these deadlines will still be considered for the upcoming term.
The domestic deadlines below allow time for those transferring credits. More details.
Summer 2021 Domestic Deadlines
|Start Date: May 10, 2021||Deadline: April 12, 2021|
|Start Date: June 30, 2021||Deadline: June 2, 2021|
Fall 2021 Domestic Deadlines
|Start Date: September 9, 2021||Deadline: August 12, 2021|
|Start Date: October 27, 2021||Deadline: September 29, 2021|
Spring 2022 Domestic Deadlines
|Start Date: January 10, 2022||Deadline: December 13, 2021|
|Start Date: March 7, 2022||Deadline: February 7, 2022|
Summer 2022 Domestic Deadlines
|Start Date: May 9, 2022||Deadline: April 11, 2022|
|Start Date: June 29, 2022||Deadline: June 1, 2022|
Student Body Profile
Graduates of the Certificate in Principles of Manufacturing program can take advantage of the high demand within manufacturing by gaining the competencies they need to begin entry-level careers, including:
- Electrical & Mechanical Maintenance Technicians
- Engineering / R&D
- Logistics & Supply Chain
- Production & Assembly
- Quality Assurance / Control