Take a quick look
We’re committed to creating an education as unique as your career path. So, whether your goal is a new career or moving up in your field, our innovative programs will get you going your way.
Customize your plan
We work with you to map your path to your goal.
Learn from experience
From real-world case studies to employer-based projects, we prepare you to manage what comes next.
Choose your focus
Whatever you’re passionate about, you’ll find the classes to sharpen your specialty.
Study anywhere, on your time
Part-time or full-time, we move at your speed, to get you where you’re going.
The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Study of Orthopedics consists of five courses (18 credits) and is taught 100 percent online. The online design of the program will provide practicing physical therapists the flexibility to adapt to their demanding schedules, save time on travel, and complete the program from the comfort of their home.
The program can be completed in 18 to 36 months with fall, winter, and summer start dates. The online format will foster the development of critical reflective thinking through case studies and discussions focusing on the most current information in orthopedic physical therapy. An optional 2½-day hands-on lab that will include components of each of the courses (upper extremity, lower extremity, spine) will be offered each spring. Students enrolled in the program will have the option to take the hands-on labs for an extra fee.
- Program designed for licensed physical therapists
- Flexible online schedule to accommodate practicing clinicians
- Option to take hands-on lab
- Prepares students to sit for the American Physical Therapy Association's Board of Physical Therapy Specialties orthopedic clinical specialization examination
- Prepare physical therapists to integrate the current research into their orthopedic clinical practice
- Apply knowledge of the anatomy and biomechanics to the evaluation and treatment of the musculoskeletal system
- Interpret and analyze medical and physical examination findings based on the Patient/Client Management Model
- Analyze current surgical interventions for the musculoskeletal system as it applies to physical therapy care
- Provide the student the knowledge and skills required to sit for the American Physical Therapy Association's Board of Physical Therapy Specialties orthopedic clinical specialization examination
Experiential / Co-op opportunities
Northeastern's signature experience-powered learning model has been at the heart of the university for more than a century. It combines world-class academics with professional practice, allowing you to acquire relevant, real-world skills you can immediately put into action in your current workplace.
This makes a Northeastern education a dynamic, transformative experience, giving you countless opportunities to grow as a professional and person.
Get Set with a Custom Course Plan
An optional two-and-a-half-day hands-on lab that will include components of each of the courses (upper extremity, lower extremity, spine) will be offered each spring. People enrolled in the program will have the option to take the hands-on labs for an extra fee.
Now Let's Talk Admissions
You know where you are headed and you've seen how our program will lead you there. So let's get going. Here's what you need to know before you enroll.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500-1000 words): identifying your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to applicant's statement of purpose
- Professional resumé: Current resumé that displays job responsibilities, relevant experience, and education history
- Proof of English language proficiency: ONLY for students for whom English is not their primary language
Are You an International Student? Find out what additional documents are required to apply.
Global Engagement Learn how our teaching and research benefit from a worldwide network of students, faculty, and industry partners.
Cost and Tuition
Estimated Total Tuition
This is an estimate based on the tuition rates for Academic Year 2020-2021 and does not include any fees or other expenses. Some courses and labs have tuition rates that may increase or decrease total tuition. Tuition and fees are subject to revision by the president and Board of Trustees at any time. For more detailed information, please visit Student Financial Services.
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, however we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
|January 1, 2021||Domestic application complete (First half start: January 19, 2021)|
|February 12, 2021||Domestic application complete (Second half start: February 22, 2021)|
|April 2, 2021||Domestic application complete (First half start: April 12, 2021)|
|May 14, 2021||Domestic application complete (Second half start: May 24, 2021)|
|July 2, 2021||Domestic application complete (Start date: July 12, 2021)|
|September 7, 2021||Domestic application complete (first half start: September 20, 2021)|
|October 18, 2021||Domestic application complete (second half start: November 1, 2021)|
Student Body Profile
Below is a look at where our Nursing & Healthcare alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Boston Medical Center
What They Do
- Healthcare Services
- Business Development
- Community and Social Services
What They're Skilled At
- Patient Safety
- Healthcare Management
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.
Career Opportunities and Services
Did You Know?
A graduate certificate can boost your earnings by an average of 25% (Washington Post, 2012).
Did You Know?
Certificates are the fastest-growing form of postsecondary credentials in the United States (Chronicle of Higher Education, 2012).
From Our Alumni
"Professors consistently took deep dives into their areas of expertise and made sure to tie it back to real-world examples. That allowed me to bring new ideas to the workplace that were directly applicable to the problems we were facing." — Rick Keilty, Alumnus
From Our Faculty
"Northeastern is a world-class university with a tremendous trajectory. It's a wonderful institution where faculty can make a significant impact." — Assistant Professor Stratis Ioannidis
From Our Alumni
"Northeastern's programs are led by skilled and experienced industry leaders who are committed to the engagement and growth of their students." — Stephen O'Halloran, '14